The goal of diabetes treatment is to maintain a stable blood glucose and a Hba1C of below 6.5 - 7%
- The treatment of diabetes varies according to each person and the type of diabetes.
- Type 1 diabetes, insulin dependent diabetes, is treated by using insulin.
- Lifestyle measures are often sufficient to control type 2 diabetes initially, before the disease has progressed and there are no other complications .
- The treatment of diabetes adapts continuously throughout the disease.
Lifestyle measures for diabetes
Physical activity and healthy nutrition are an integral part of managing diabetes.
The control and monitoring of risk factors such as weight, smoking, cholesterol and alcohol consumption are also essential:
- Regular physical activity: walking, swimming, cycling ... it recommended for you to do at least 30 minutes of aerobic exercise for 5 days per week
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Monitoring your diet
- Treating hypertension
- Quitting smoking
- Reduce alcohol - men are advised to drink a maximum of 21 units per week, and women should have only 14 units
- Monitoring the condition of your feet
- Treating hyperlipidaemia if it is still high after weight loss
The medical treatment of diabetes is both with oral tablets and/or insulin - these are outlined on the following pages</gras
Los tratamientos de la diabetes