Exercise during or after the festive season will help you keep in shape and loose those extra pounds gained over the Christmas and New Year period..
Exercise is important for your health
- Weight baring exercise helps keep your bones strong and prevents bone diseases
- Exercise helps prevent cardiovascular diseases and is considered one of the treatments
- It is improves brain function
- Helps to burn excess calories
- Decreases the risk of breast and colon cancer
- Stimulates the production of your natural endorphins which make you feel good
- It is very beneficial for all ages including the elderly .
Increasing your physical activity in your everyday life
Use your surroundings to help increase your level of activity:-
- Use the stairs instead of the lift
- Walk 20 to 30 minutes each day
- Avoid taking the car for short distances
- Get off the bus or tube one or two stops earlier
- Do some gardening, DIY or house work.
Aim to exercise for 20 to 30 minutes a day
Choose an exercise which suits you best
There are many sports and exercise classes to choose from.
Cycling, jogging, swimming, aqua aerobics, fast walking, rowing, dance... are sports which are easy to participate in .
Start with a 15 minutes session once or twice a week then increase the time and frequency to reach 3 sessions of 30 minutes per week.
Warm up for about 10 minutes before beginning any exercise
Do not force yourself
Take care not to push yourself too hard and to stop if in pain.
Walk 3 times per weeks for 30 to 45 minutes, at a tolerable pace.
Ask for medical advice
Medical advice remains essential, in particular for people with chronic conditions, such as asthma or diabetes or for those starting any sporting activity after a long gap or for people aged above 40.
Faire du sport pour maigrir
Después de las comidas de fiestas: hacer deporte