Pregnancy tests are sold at chemists and supermarkets. The test detects chorionic gonadotropin (HGC) a hormone secreted only in pregnant women from the early development of the embryo.
The rate of this hormone increases gradually during the first six weeks of pregnancy and these tests, 99% reliable.
How the pregnancy test works
- The test's reactive strip is placed under a stream of urine or a fresh collected specimen of urine. Wait approximately 5 minutes for the appearance of a colourful line, or a dot or a cross in the results window. Usually, two lines indicates a positive test and one line is a negative result. Some test kits are digital and will tell you more precisely how many weeks ago you conceived, however follow the individual kit's manufacturers instructions.
- It is advisable to perform this test in the morning, when your urine is most concentrated.
- Take the test two or three days after your expected date of menstruation, this is approximately 10 days after fertilisation. There are some test kits that are sensitive enough to detect HCG levels 4 days before your period is due.
- Avoid drinking too much just before the test as it can dilute the pregnancy hormone.
- In some cases when a pregnancy needs confirming or to see if it's progressing a blood test is taken to check the HCG hormone levels. Your GP, midwife, or specialist doctor may request this test, as it is more accurate and reliable. The results are usually available within 24 hours.
Confirm your pregnancy as soon as possible
Having an early diagnosis enables you:-
- Allow to see your GP early to get advice and to arrange your antenatal care at your chosen hospital.
- Calculate your expected date of delivery (EDD).
Immediately cut out risk factors because such risks can be harmful to the fetus especially in the first 3 months of pregnancy.
- Stop smoking
- Stop drinking alcohol
- Take medical advice before taking any medication because many medications are contraindicated during pregnancy, the first months being the highest risk to the baby.
- Stop doing certain risky sports
Test de embarazo