To lose weight quickly by doing a diet, then regaining it by eating again as you used to, then starting all over later with another diet to lose weight, regaining weight again, losing it again, then putting on weight over and over during several years is called the yoyo effect at the origin ofoverweight, obesity and depression.
The yoyo effect results in a succession of weight loss followed by weight regains which are dangerous for health. This succession of good news followed by disappointments are demoralising .
With the years passing by, people who do these diets enter a vicious circle: after each weight loss, the weight regain which follows is worse than the previous one obliging them to diet more severely than the last time.
Thus the successive diets carried out cause the people to be overweight, which in turn can lead to putting on more than 20% of one's normal weight and for certain people obesity.
Bad diets lead to yoyo effect
- Too difficult diets because they are too restrictive are risky
- These bad diets do not teach how to eat normally in a balanced way
- The same nutritional mistakes will be reproduced a few weeks or a few months later
Effects of yoyo diets on health
- The regained weight is increasingly difficult to lose: the body remembers the effects of deprivation caused by the succession of diets during the years, and stores more in reserve in preparation for future diets.
- The progressive development of obesity
- A shortened life expectancy
- A decrease of “good” cholesterol which protects from cardiovascular diseases thus increasing cardiovascular disease risks (infarction, arteritis…)
- Appearance of depressive disorders related to these successive failures.
- These yoyos diets do not lead to a true training in good eating habits and after each diet, the bad habits take over again.
Eating only a salad as a meal is likely to cause a strong pang of hunger after a few hours.
Effet yoyo des régimes
El peligro de las dietas yoyo (adelgazar y volver a coger peso)
Latest update on November 4, 2009 at 04:15 AM by owliance.en_ctrl_002.