Here is a brief summary of infant nutrition from 0 to 6 months.
From birth up to 4-6 months
During the first 4 to 6 months, your baby's diet should exclusively be milk until weaning begins. It is not safe to wean before 4 months and if possible breast milk remains the best choice when feeding a newborn baby as it covers the nutritional needs of the child up to 6 months and then is a great supplement as food starts to replace milk as the main source of nutrition. Formula milk is used when breast feeding can not be achieved.
Doses for bottle-feeding
Please refer to the bottle feeding article for more detailed information on how to make up bottle feeds.
The follwing amounts are an approximate guide and can vary from baby to baby.
- First two weeks from birth : 90 mls of milk 6 times a day
- First month (from birth to 1 month): 120 mls of milk 6 times a day.
- Second month (from 1 month to 2 months): 150mls of milk 6 times a day.
- Third month (from 2 months to 3 months): 180mls of milk 5 times a day.
- Fourth month (from 3 months to 4 months): 180mls of milk 5 times a day.
- Fith and sixth month (from 4 months to 6 months): 210mls of milk 5 times a day.
The volume suggested for each feeding-bottle can be adapted more or less according to the appetite of your child, while remaining within reasonable limits (30 ml of water + 1 level scoop of formula milk powder). Never force your child to finish his feeding-bottle.
Allow for pauses during a feed to wind your baby and especially at the end. The duration of a feed is variable, but should not exceed 45 min. Feeds are approximately 3 hours apart, however your baby may vary slightly so be guided by them, but do not allow a new born baby to go any longer than 6 hours without a feed. In hot weather, cooled boiled water can be given. Do not add sugar and avoid any juices when starting to wean.
- From birth to 6 months: 1st stage milks = formula milk for infants.
- From 6 months up to 12 months: 2nd stage milks = Formula 'follow on milks' Usually for hungrier babies .
- From 12 months up to 3 years: Growing up milk = formula for young children., however, cows milk along with a well balance diet is sufficient in delivering nutritionally balanced diet for children.
Photographic copyright: © Daniel Fuhr - Fotolia.com
Alimentation du bébé de 0 à 12 mois
Alimentación del bebé de 0 a 6 meses
Säuglingsernährung von 0 bis 6 Monaten