Regular physical activity provides important protection against brain damage.
Regular exercise of any kind over time, helps to preserve your independence and quality of life. According to recent research, elderly people who exercise regularly throughout their life suffer less loss of brain tissue with better cognitive performance than sedentary people.
Benefits of physical activity
Regular physical activity is regarded as a in factor preventing cognitive disorders.
- It Reinforces neuro-vascular function
- It helps in the prevention of physiological ageing : The improvement of brain oxygenation by the practice of a regular activity has a positive effect at the level of reaction times and thinking capacity and memory of the elderly.
- There is increased resistance to Alzheimer disease
- It offers some protection against brain damage
Useful advice for people over 65: what type of exercise to practice?
Exercises combining balance, muscular toning of the lower limbs, flexibility and/or endurance exercises all contribute to reducing the risk of falls amongst the elderly.
Muscle strengthening exercises
- It is good to practice, at least twice a week, to stretch and exercise the the main muscle groups.
- Avoid exercising on 2 consecutive days.
- These exercises can also be achieved by weight lifting.
- The intensity of the exercise varies according to the individual.
- It is recommended to exercise 8 to 10 different muscle groups (forearms, arms, shoulders, right- and left quadriceps ...).
- Repeat 10 to 15 times for each type of muscle.
Warm up exercises (neck, shoulder, waist, hip...)
Warm up exercises, carried out at least twice weekly, for ten minutes each time, helps maintain good flexibility which is necessary for daily activities.
- Practice balance exercises twice a week possibly alternating with muscle strengthening exercises.
- Such exercises help decrease, falls in the elderly or those who lead a sedentary life.
- Examples of useful exercises are walking in a straight line traced out on the ground, stepping over small obstructions placed on the line.
Exercice physique et cerveau
La actividad física y el buen funcionamiento del cerebro