- The risk of developing lung cancer is reduced by 50% after 5 years of quitting smoking and after 15years of quitting it is the same as a non-smoker.
- The risk of a heart attack is reduced to 50% after stopping for 1 year ; the risk of having a stroke (CVA) after 1 year of stopping is equal to that of a non-smoker.
- Quitting can reduce the allergic symptoms, the intensity of asthma attacks and the number of chronic bronchitis episodes.
- The skin quickly recovers its colour and some of its elasticity.
- Your breath becomes sweeter and more pleasant.
Improvements can be felt as soon as 20 minutes after quitting
The condition of your health is comparable to that of a non-smoker about fifteen years after quitting
- 20 minutes after your last cigarette, the heart rate returns to normal
- In 24 hours:
- The risks of a heart attack start to decrease.
- The carbon monoxide level drops to zero and is no longer detectable in the body.
- Two days later, nicotine can no longer be found in the blood.
- After a further 2 weeks, your taste returns and your skin takes on a healthy hue.
- Within 3 to 9 months, your breathing improves substantially .
- And after 1 year the risk of cardiovascular disease is reduced by half
- 5 years after :
- The risk of having a stroke is decreased to half
- The risks of mouth, oesophagus and bladder cancers are decreased by 50%.
- The risk of a heart attack is equal to that of someone who has never smoked
- 10 years after quitting :
- The risk of lung cancer is reduced by about half.
- The risk of a stroke becomes the same as a non-smoker.
- 15 years after quitting :
- The cardiovascular disease risk equals that of a non-smoker.
After quitting a cough accompanied with mucous can appear. This is caused by the renewal of activity of the bronchi cilium (which was damaged and did not function whilst smoking). For some smokers they often initially feel worse after quitting and need to be aware of this.
For further help with stopping smoking
Año sin fumar beneficios
Warum es sich lohnt, mit dem Rauchen aufzuhören
Latest update on February 5, 2011 at 09:33 AM by Janey39.