Definition of hyperhydrosis
- Hyperhydrosis is the excessive production of sweat.
- It can be mild, moderate or severe.
- It can be localised in certain parts of the body such as the hands, the armpits or generalised throughout the body.
- It can be due to a pathological cause or simply physiological with some people perspiring more than others to control their body temperature.
- This perspiration is disturbing, unpleasant for close relatives and can be a real handicap.
Physical effects of excessive perspiration
- Dehydration can occur if excessive sweating reaches 10 litres per day.
- Infections of the feet and nails, especially fungal infections.
- Risks of eczema and skin infections.
Psychological effects of this excessive perspiration
- Excessive perspiration can affect a persons quality of life.
- Excessive perspiration can cause feelings of embarrassment, low self esteem, affect confidence and cause relationship problems.
- Affected people do not feel at ease, and become anxious about meeting people.
- Some become isolated, do not want to go out, fearing comments from people they meet.
- In addition, the anxiety caused by perspiration worsens the production of sweat.
- Excess perspiration has aesthetic, relational, psychological and even professional consequences.
- Hand perspiration can be a daily handicap for those who need to grip objects or use their hands for their occupation, also shaking hands with other people can be embarrassing.
- This excess of perspiration on the hands can make hobbies such as playing the piano difficult,
Excessive sweating under the armpits causes clothes to become wet requiring a change of clothes, also it can cause an offensive smell.
- The perspiration of the feet causes bad smells but also bacterial infections or mycoses.
- Excessive sweating can be a cause eczema on the feet.
Stress and emotions
Stress, anxiety, tiredness, fear, psychological shock and the fear generated by excess of perspiration are factors which can worsen the situation.
Transpiration des pieds - Conséquences et conseils
El exceso de transpiración: la hiperhidrosis