Also called ethane-1,2-diol, ethylene glycol is the simplest form in the class of diols. Generally used as an antifreeze to prevent water in vehicles from freezing, it is a colorless, odorless, and hygroscopic liquid. The molecular formula of ethylene glycol is C2H6O2. Its ingestion is dangerous and must be medically treated immediately. Cases of ethylene glycol intoxication are characterized initially by dizziness and confusion. Then, the organism transforms the ethylene glycol into oxalic acid, which leads to kidney failure.
Published by Jeff
Latest update on November 26, 2013 at 12:52 PM by Jeff.