I want to stop humming.

Ask a question Dakotajeff 1Posts Wednesday October 29, 2014Registration date October 29, 2014 Last seen - Last answered on Nov 11, 2014 04:40PM by Ambucias
I find myself humming the words to a song or phrase virtually all day. From research, I find it is called Logorrhea. Does anyone know a cure or information about stopping this???
See more 
Helpful
+0
moins plus
Greetings

In my opinion, Logorrhea be cause Logorrhea is is a communication disorder, expressed by excessive wordiness with minor or sometimes incoherent talkativeness.

Humming words of a song happens to many people including me. Some songs, because of the tune become "ear worms".

The way to cure this is to replace the song with another one you know or to listen to other music.

Best regards
Dakotajeff- Nov 6, 2014 12:32PM
For over 10 years, I have caught myself humming partial lyrics and told myself I had to stop. I have not found an answer and do not know where to turn. I am 66 and on Medicare, but I do not know if there is a medical answer. I just need to stop. thanks
Ambucias 38395Posts mardi 2 février 2010Registration date ModeratorStatus February 20, 2017 Last seen - Nov 7, 2014 06:35PM
I don't see why you should stop. What is telling you that you should? Is it wrong to hum tunes which you may find pleasant. I get tunes in my head all the time...just say a word and I'll find a tune with that word in it.

As long as you can concentrate in your daily activities, you are okay.

If it is really interfering with your well being, then I suggest you consult with a professional.

Best regards
Dakotajeff- Nov 11, 2014 11:47AM
Ambucias, thank you for your time. I guess I must say the humming does interfere with my well-being. I live in a rather remote part of South Dakota and have asked doctors about this, but none of them are aware of professional help that might be available. I am 66 and on Medicare, so I could possibly be referred to another doctor. Do you have any suggestions what type of professional I might contact? thanks again
Leave a comment
Helpful
+0
moins plus
Hello Jeff.

Sorry for the late reply.

Your definition of Logorrhea does not meet mine.

Mine is expressed by excessive wordiness with minor or sometimes incoherent talkativeness. Logorrhea is sometimes classified as a mental illness, resulting in a variety of psychiatric and neurological disorders including aphasia, localized cortical lesions in the thalamus, mania, or most typically in catatonic schizophrenia.

Humming lyrics or tunes does not fit with the above.

As I see it, a psychologist, not a psychiatrist, would be my referral.

Good luck
Leave a comment

Member requests are more likely to be responded to.

Members can monitor the statuses of their requests from their account pages.

A CCM membership gives you access to additional options.

Not a member yet?