Treatments for male sexual dysfunction

  • There is effective treatment for erectile dysfunction and this can transform your sex life.
  • It is essential to treat any underlying medical cause if found on screening.

Medical treatment: Phosphodiesterase inhibitors

  • There is drug treatment which prevents the hormone (phosphodiesterase) from working. This hormone is responsible for causing the dissolution of an erection.
  • There are 3 drugs available: Vardenafil (Levitra), Tadalafil (Cialis), and Sildenafil (Viagra).
  • They are taken up to an hour before you are going to have sex.
  • These drugs do not have an effect on sexual desire. It is still necessary to have a sexual arousal to obtain an erection.
  • Before prescribing drug treatment, your GP must check that you do not have any heart problems as they are contraindicated in those on certain medications (nitrates).
  • Sometimes these medications can be prescribed free of charge to you if you have a medical cause for your erectile dysfunction.
  • Side-effects include nausea, rhinitis, headaches, hot flushes, facial flushing, eye disorder :
  • Other contra-indications, side effects and interactions with other drugs will be explained to you by your doctor.


  • Injections are reserved for men in whom medical treatments have failed.
  • The injections can either be into the urethra (the hole within your penis) or into the actual tissue of your penis.
  • Injections are carried out by the patient themselves
  • The injected product causes the blood vessels to dilate and fill up with blood causing an erection
  • Erection occurs approximately 5 to 15 minutes after the injection and can last from 30 minutes to 1 hour.
  • Side-effects include pain at the injection site and prolonged erection.

Penile vacuums

  • Penile vacuums or pumps cause an erection by mechanically drawing blood into your penis.
  • This apparatus requires some training but can represent a solution for certain couples.


There are surgical solutions available but these are reserved as a last resort and you can discuss this with your GP or specialist.

For more information, please see
Ask a question
CCM is a leading international tech website. Our content is written in collaboration with IT experts, under the direction of Jeff Pillou, founder of CCM reaches more than 50 million unique visitors per month and is available in 11 languages.
This document, titled « Treatments for male sexual dysfunction », is available under the Creative Commons license. Any copy, reuse, or modification of the content should be sufficiently credited to CCM Health (