When should I seek specialist help?

Specialists advise that healthy couples aged less than 35 years in age should wait at least a year of trying to conceive naturally before needing any investigations.

If you have any concerns, your first port of call should be your GP who will be able to reliably advise you further.


Reasons to consult your GP or a specialist earlier include:
  • Past medical history involving the genitals for you or your partner . For example:
    • A sexually transmitted infection
    • Any abnormal vaginal or penile discharge
    • Endometriosis
    • Polycystic ovaries
    • Previous cancer or operations
  • If you have concerns regarding your weight: whether you are overweight or too slim
  • If you have not regained normal periods 6 - 9 months after stopping hormonal contraception (for example, the oral contraceptive pill)
  • If you are concerned regarding your age, especially if you are over 35 years of age