-
Registration date
Tuesday September 6, 2011
Status
Last seen
November 14, 2011
-
Hello,
My dad is 58 years old and after going to the doctor's 2 days ago, he learnt that he had lung cancer. Does anyone know the symptoms of this disease? And also, my dad has never smoked before, well not that I know, I am 30 and have never seen my dad touch a single cigarette. What could have caused it and should I expect him to recover from this? I am desperate for an answer because I want to help him so bad.

Thank you all.

1 reply

Registration date
Tuesday September 6, 2011
Status
Last seen
November 14, 2011

Hello,
I understand how this news is difficult for you and especially your father who is very youngs still, and if caught in its early stages he may well have an excellent recovery. The signs of lung cancer, cough, weakness, fatigue and wegith loss.

To answer the question on how you get lung cancer, there are several reasons why you can actually have it besides smoking:
Passive smokers can get lung cancer from the smoke inhaled from others smoking. This often happens in working or family environments.
It can also be due to asbestos fibers. When someone is exposed to them in their working or home environment, this can affect the lung's tissue and hence develop into a cancer (Mesothelioma) There is also some evidence that lung cancer can be a familial thing that is if it is in the family your father may be predisposed to have it.
Also, depending on the pollution on the air that you breathe everyday, particularly from heavy/ old vehicles or factories.

To help your father, you should know at what stage the cancer is as from now. There are different treatments available for this kind of disease, such as surgery or radiation and more commonly chemo.

But the most important part is that you stay supportive to your father and show him that you do care.
Please do take care and all our best wishes are with you and your family