My 13 year old daughter started smoking!

helheathly 2 Posts Monday September 5, 2011Registration date September 5, 2011 Last seen - Sep 5, 2011 at 01:35 PM - Latest reply: Racha11 6 Posts Tuesday September 6, 2011Registration date October 1, 2011 Last seen
- Sep 6, 2011 at 06:43 AM
Hello everyone, I have a serious issue and I am very concerned about my daughter. She is only 13 but she has already started smoking. The problem is that it might be of my fault, as I am a heavy smoker, but I have always tried to talk her out of it. She might have been influenced by peer pressure too. I don't know when it started, but I saw a packet of cigarettes in her school bag, and when I questioned her about it, she said that she did not have to try to hide it anymore if I knew that she was smoking now. She now starts to smoke in her room by the window and each time I try to tell her something, she snaps at me that I should set the example first. I am desperate and do not know how to handle such a situation. The worse is that the situation is stressing me and pushing me to smoke even more than usual. This is starting to become a vicious circle. Please help me to make her stop!
See more 

Your reply

1 reply

Racha11 6 Posts Tuesday September 6, 2011Registration date October 1, 2011 Last seen - Sep 6, 2011 at 06:43 AM
Thank you
Hello
You are right she has been influenced by you and as difficult as this sounds you are not in any position to encourage her to stop smoking either. you could try two things:
1. stop smoking and tell her that you have done it so as to prove her that this is not good for her health.
2. that you both set for the goal to stop smoking. this can also create a bond between you too. instead of having a conflicted relationship with your daughter, you might try to try a more friendly approach.
How is she paying for this habit? Get her to save her money for a special treat? This could be the time for you to address your health issues too.
Take care and good luck
Respond to Racha11