How do I help my son who is cutting himself?

Registration date
Tuesday September 6, 2011
Status
Last seen
October 1, 2011
- - Latest reply: Jack Rex
Registration date
Saturday January 2, 2010
Status
Last seen
August 13, 2016
- Oct 3, 2011 at 02:01 AM
Hello,

I am a father of 2, and my youngest son, Charles is 16. He is the type of kid who is really shy, he does not really go out, does not have many friends. He likes reading and spends most of his time on the internet.

We do not have any father-son relationship as to be honest, I don't know how to handle him. I have tried before, but this has been a complete failure, it caused him to not talk to me at all instead of occasionally.

I have recently noticed that he wears long sleeves all the time (even at home - after shower - when he is going to school) and I have been curious to know why. His older brother told me that he has started to cut himself. If it is out of fashion or not, this situation is worrying me. And the fact that we are not talking puts me in a funny position.

I don't know what to do right now, my wife has left us two years ago and is marrying again so she does not have the time for us anymore. Hence, I would like any of you to give me some advice on how I can help my son whom I love the most in this life, for him to get better and be happy and stop destroying himself.

Thank you !!
See more 

2 replies

Registration date
Tuesday March 30, 2010
Status
Last seen
May 13, 2012
Thank you
I am so sorry to hear this. You need some professional help and places to start are your GP, school nurse and sons teachers. I would also try to tell your son your concerns, affections for him and how important it is to work through things as a family. His mother needs to know and should be involved as her leaving the family maybe one of the reasons your son is struggling.

I wish you much luck and hope you can work through these difficulties.
Respond to Janey39
Registration date
Saturday January 2, 2010
Status
Last seen
August 13, 2016
Thank you
The most inportant thing is that when his mother doesn't care for him you need to develop a father - son relationship fast.
He's probably doing this now to get an outlet for his emotional pain.
I have a bit of experience with this and I know that one day when he looks back at this experience he'll feel very stupid about it.
I think he should be seeing a therapist or a counsellor who can help him out.
Find some time to be with your children. Take them out, have meals as family, talk to them about their day at school, tell them about your day at work.
Respond to Jack Rex